Fiumefreddo Bruzio is a splendid Medieval
village, which is situated on a rock in a beautiful panoramic
position on the Tyrrhenian coast.
The village derives its name from flumen frigidum, which
refers to the fresh water river which flows alongside the
It was founded in the High Medieval period during the Longobard
era and was part of the Principality of Benevento.
It suffered Saracen incursions during the IX century and was
conquered by Robert Guiscard (1054) who had a defensive tower
built and gave the village to his brother, Ruggero the Norman.
Under the Swabians (1194-1266), the noble, Simon de Mamistra
decided to reinforce the tower by construction of the Castle.
The Angioinians assigned Fiumefreddo to Giovanni de Flenis.
Alfonso Sanseverino followed and then Ferdinando d'Alarcon
who modified the Castle (1536) and had the two towers known
as Golette built.
An earthquake caused serious damage in the village during
The French besieged the village and caused grave damage to
the Castle where Bourbon troops were seeking refuge (1807).
Just before unification into the Reign of Italy, the village
took on the name of Bruzio, which became its current name
A visit to the City
There are many places of interest and buildings to visit
in Fiumefreddo Bruzio.
The S. Michele Archangel Matrix Church preserves a Giuseppe
Pascaletti and Francesco Solimeno canvas in its interior.
The S. Chiara Church has a beautiful 16th century portal and
majolica flooring in its interior. Other cult buildings are:
the Baroque S. Francesco of Paola Church, the Carmine Church
with its 15th century portal, S. Rocco and the Medieval Addolorata
Unfortunately, the Castle is greatly damaged but in compensation,
the City is dotted with nobiliary buildings and offers an
incredible panorama overlooking the coast and Tyrrhenian Sea.
In the Badia locality, one can visit the Santa Maria di Fonte
Laurato Church, of Medieval origin.
It is also possible to take excursions to neighbouring centres,
Monte Cocuzzo and the Medieval San Domenica Abbey.
Place of interest
- Resti del Castello Alarçon Mendoza
- Palazzo Municipale
- Porta Orientale
- Porta le Golette
- Chiesa Matrice di S. Michele Arcangelo (1540)
- Chiesa di S. Chiara (1552)
- Convento di San Francesco di Paola
- Chiesa di S. Francesco di Paola (1709)
- Oratorio dell'Addolorata o della Torretta (XI sec.)
- Chiesa del Carmine (XIII sec.)
- Chiesa di S. Rocco (XVIII sec.)
- Palazzo Pignatelli
- Palazzo Zupi
- Palazzo del Barone Del Bianco
- Palazzo Gaudiosi
- Palazzo Sant'Anna
- Palazzo Castiglione-Morelli (XVI sec.)
- Palazzo Pitellia
- Palazzo Mazzarone
- Resti della cinta muraria
- Visita all'Abbazia di San Domenica (XIII sec.)
- Chiesa di Santa Maria di Fonte Laurato
- Escursione a Monte Cocuzzo
- Visita a Falconara Albanese
- Visita a Cosenza
- Visita a Paola
- Visita ad Amantea
- Nessun Museo segnalato