Mesoraca is of ancient foundation situated
between the Vergari and Reasio rivers in the province of Crotone,
not too distant from the Ionian coasts of
It is thought that the centre is of ancient foundation by
the hands of the Enotrian population who arrived in Southern
Italy during the Iron Age (XI century BC), and who named the
There was an unavoidable clash with the Greeks, who arrived
in Italy beginning during the VII century BC, causing the
Enotrians to withdraw then succumb to the Lucani population
of Sabellic origins.
The centre then firstly assumed the Greek name of Mesorachion,
then Mesoreacium with the arrival of the Romans (III century
During the Medieval era, the centre was part of the property
of Catanzaro and was allied to Crotone during the war against
Locri. Under the Angioinians it was a fief of the Ruffo family
(1292), becoming a baronage until 1523 when it was part of
the Marquisate of Crotone and property of the Caracciolo family.
A peasant revolt determined the massacre of the Caracciolo
family in 1527. Ferrante Spinelli, came to the aid of Isabella
Caracciolo, who was the only survivor, fell in love with and
married her, as well as gaining her fief as marriage dowry.
Beginning in 1584, the nobiliary of Mesoraca were the Altemps,
who governed until the subversion of feudalism (1806).
A terrible earthquake distressed the centre on 8th March 1832,
heavily damaging and changing the urban plan of Mesoraca.
Mesoraca is the birthplace of San Zosimo, who was elected
Pope in 417-18.
A visit to the City
By walking through Via Castello one can visit the Castle
Remains, which is adjacent to the Annunziata Church. This
church preserves a crucifix from the ‘600s in its interior.
The Ecce Homo Sanctuary (XV century) is also noteworthy, with
a 16th century sculpture in its interior and a canvas dating
back to the ‘700s.
In the lower part of the City, one will come across the Assunta
Church with its imposing façade and Baroque plan, adjacent
to where the Retiro Convent is situated.
Outside of Mesoraca, one can visit the S. Angelo in Fringillis
Abbey, founded in 1220 by the Cistercian monks.
Place of interest
- Convento del Retiro
- Chiesa dell'Assunta ('700)
- Chiesa dell'Annunziata
- Ruderi del Castello
- Santuario dell'Ecce Homo (XV sec.)
- Ruderi dell'Abbazia Cistercense di S. Angelo in Fringillis
- Nessun Museo segnalato
- A fera e Maju l'ultimo sabato, domenica e lunedi di maggio