Bonifati is a locality of the Alto
Tirreno Cosentino, not too far from the sea or the
Pollino National Park.
Some historians sustain that Bonifati was founded during
the VI century BC by the Focesi population coming from Asia
A further thesis entrusts confirmed historical dates and asserts
that yes, Bonifati was founded by the Greeks, but by those
coming from the neighbouring city of Hiele which was destroyed
by Robert Guiscard in 1057.
What is certain is that in 1270 Castel Bonifati was assigned
to Gismondo Palmieri for merits obtained in the military campaign
during the conquest of Southern Italy.
Bonifati remained until the XVI century and was very attached
to the Sangineto University.
Over the years it was fief of the following families: Bisignano,
De Gregorio, Telesio and Carafa.
During the XX century its tourist industry developed and the
area known as Cittadella di Capo Bonifati was founded, being
a lido fully equipped with seaside structures.
A visit to the City
Bonifati is separated into two parts: the historical centre
and the seaside lido.
The old village faces inwards and is situated between the
hills of Serra and Monticello. It is dominated by the Medieval
One must not miss a visit to the Calvario Church, the Annunziata
Church which has been heavily adjusted and the ruins of the
S. Francesco Convent.
The geographic position of Bonifati allows visitors the choice
of going down towards the marina or of penetrating inland
in discovery of ancient villages and the naturalistic beauty
of the Pollino Park.
Place of interest
- Resti del Castello
- Chiesa del Calvario
- Chiesa dell'Annunziata
- Ex Convento dei Minimi
- Ruderi dell'antico convento di S. Francesco
- Torre costiera in località Cittadella del Capo
- Nessun Museo segnalato
- The Feast of S. Maria Maddalena on 22nd July;
- Feast of the Madonna of the Rosary on the 1st Sunday of