MOTTA SAN GIOVANNI
Motta San Giovanni is a small centre a few
kilometres from the coast in the extreme southern parts of
Calabria, in front of the Sicilian coasts.
The term Motta signifies fortified hills and explains the
origin and role of the centre. In reality, before it was fortified
by the Angioinians, a village called San Giovani already existed.
From 1412 onwards, the village assumed its present day name
of Motta San Giovani.
After passing under Aragonese rule, it became a Commune in
1466 with Greek religious rites observance until the ‘500s,
when it was substituted by the Latin religion.
Subsequently, it became the Baronage of the Ruffo and Villadicane
(1574) families, who strengthened its defences against Turkish
assaults from the coast.
In 1604, Motta San Giovanni entered as part of the property
of the Ruffo di Bagnara family, and became a Principality
A terrible earthquake in 1783, almost completely destroyed
Motta San Giovanni.
On 4th May 1811, it became a Commune, also annexing the village
of Pellaro until 1834.
A visit to the City
Motta San Giovanni is dominated by its Norman-Angioinian
Castle ruins, adjacent to which lies the remains of the SS,
Annunziata Chapel, in testimony of the wounds left by earthquakes
over the centuries.
Descending one will come across the recent San Giovanni Church
with a statue of its Saint in marble in its interior.
Approximately 4 kms from the centre, one can visit the Confraternita
del Leandro Church, situated in a beautiful panoramic position.
Place of interest
- Chiesa di San Giovanni
- Ruderi della Cappella della SS. Annunziata
- Chiesa della Confraternita del Leandro
- Palazzo Spinelli
- Resti del Castello Bizantino (X sec.) a Sant'Aniceto
- Resti della Chiesa della SS. Annunziata a Sant'Aniceto
- Visita di Reggio Calabria
- Parco Nazionale dell'Aspromonte
- Nessun Museo segnalato
- Premio "Il Minatore d'oro" in dicembre