On the slopes of the Piccola Sila, about
7 kilometres from the Ionian Coast of Calabria, is where one
will find Cropani, situated in a panoramic
position on a hill.
Its foundation came about during the Byzantine era (VI century
AD), following destruction of the Ostrogoth Reign (494-535).
The centre derives its name from Kropos, meaning fertile ground.
However, its territory was previously inhabited beginning
during the Neolithic era until the Roman period, as demonstrated
by archaeological finds over the last few years.
Reports narrate of a singular event which took place during
the year 831, when some Venetian merchants returning from
Egypt, landed on the coasts of Cropani due to a storm. They
had been in Egypt to steal the remains of Mark the Evangelist,
and were welcomed so heartily by the Cropanese population,
that on their departure they left a relic of the Saint in
Cropani. Following this, they also granted Venetian citizenship
to all the inhabitants.
With the Normans, Cropani was annexed to the county/earldom
of Belcastro and during the XVI century, was known by the
name of Cropant.
A visit to the City
The Assunta Mother Church is stunning with its Romanesque
portal and beautiful rose window in its façade. One
should take note of the height of the its bell tower. It houses
canvases from the XV and XVIII centuries and a statue of the
Madonna with Child (1588) in its interior.
Other noteworthy churches are the: Santa Lucia, dating back
to the XIII century, and S. Caterina d'Alessandria Complex.
Finds from digs carried out, beginning during 1995, have giving
rise to an interesting exhibition at the Antiquarium, in the
the S. Caterina d'Alessandria Complex.
Cropani also attracts seaside tourism. The Cropani Marina
area is well fitted out with equipped beaches.
Place of interest
- Chiesa Matrice dell'Assunta (XV sec.)
- Chiesa di Santa Lucia (XIII sec.)
- Chiesa di Santa Caterina d’Alessandria (XVI sec.)
- Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista
- Arco (XV sec.)
- Palazzo Municipale
- Cropani Marina
- Parco Nazionale della Sila
- Visita di Santa Severina
- Visita di Belcastro
- Visita di Sersale
- Visita di Zagarise
- Visita di Petilia Policastro
- Visita di Andali
- Antiquarium comunale, ex sagrestia di S. Caterina d'Alessadria
- Museo Diocesano, Duomo dell'Assunta
- La Naca (processione di Cristo Morto) a Pasqua
- Festa di San Michele l’8 maggio nella frazione di
- Festa di Sant’Antonio il 13 giugno
- Festa della Madonna della Catena il 3° venerdì
- Festa di Santa Chiara il 10 agosto nel villaggio Carrao
di Cropani Marina
- Presepe vivente a Natale
- Sagra della Crespelle a Natale
- Sagra dei Mparrettati a Natale