Founded from the Fulginates
at the confluence between rivers Menotre and Topino, Fulginia
then passed in Roman hands becoming a political centre town
hall and then mand then important stop long the via Flaminia,
connecting Rome to Rimini.
Repeatedly destroyed by barbaric
invasions it recovered after the 1000 with the development
of a small inhabited center around the main castle (castrum
Sancti Feliciani) encircled by walls.
Famous the Piazza Grande of Foligno for the
renounce to the property made here by San Francesco. Piazza
della Repubblica is then the center of the city and
shows off the more important buildings: the Palazzo
Comunale (XIII cent.), Palazzo del Podestà,
Palazzo dei Trinci today seat of the Pinacoteca Comunale and
the splendid building of the Duomo, erected
in 1133 whose facade in Romanesque style is embellished by
Gothic "bifore" and three "rosoni".
Foligno outside reserves an appreciate surpris
also of the lived one: only 6 km far away there's the Abbazia
di Sassovivo, Romanesque building built in year 1000
perfectly conserved that reveals its maximum splendor with
its cloister (XIII sec.).