was the ancient name that Benedictines monks of the abbey
of Farfa in Sabina gave to this place building up the first
religious building on the ruins of a pagan temple. Anciently
Bominaco, was instead the scene of the martyrdom
of Saint Pellegrino (III-IV) who came to
Italy from Syria in order to preach the Christianity.
In 1093 abbey passed for donation to the diocese of Valva.
In 1254 Castle of Bominaco, with the castles of the valley,
participated to the foundation of the new city of Aquila,
wanted by king Federico II of Svevia. Subsequently it became
part of the fights for the dominion between Angioini and Aragonesi
ending to be destroyed by Braccio Fortebraccio da Montone
(1423). Fortunately for the art, during this
devastation were saved the pearls of Bominaco: the church
of S. Maria Assunta (XI-XII sec.), rightly considered
one of the maximum expressions of the Romanesque in the region,
and the oratory of S.Pellegrino (reconstructed
in 1263), that it keeps splendid frescoes representing episodes
of the Old and New Testament, and a cycle of the Passion.
This last church seems to be constructed in obedience of Carlo
Magno's wishes, that here stopped around year 800
having in dream the apparition of the Saint, during its invasion
The Abbey was closed in 1754 with a papal bull of abolition.
Worthy of visiting in Bominaco also the Castle
(XIII sec.) with the tower of sight (XV sec.) constructed
to defense the village by the Fioravanti, family that distinguished
itself in the defense of Bominaco from besiege of Fortebraccio
and that obtained for this by Pope Martino V the patronage
on the abbey of Bominaco.