Basilica di San Francesco:
entrance is via the terrace behind the apse of the Cathedral.
It includes paintings, goldsmiths and handmade textiles binding
with the history of the Cathedral itself. The collection is
valuable – notwithstanding the numerous pillages experienced
from 1321 until the end of the 18th Century – and some
of the French goldsmiths works are true and proper masterpieces.
Museo Civico (Civic Museum):
can be found between Via Portica and the Piazza del Comune
(Council Square), in the archaeological area called “Foro
Romano (Roman Forum).” The museum is housed in the so
called “Crypt of Saint Niccolò,” that is,
the remains of a church which existed from 1097 and was demolished
in 1926. The museum was established in 1934 and conserves
archaeological material from the pre-Roman and Roman era;
coming mainly from the urban area but also the territory surrounding
Pinacoteca Comunale (Communal Art Gallery):
has had its residence on the ground floor of the Palazzo dei
Priori since 1933, in the Communal Square. The building dates
back to 1275, but was completed in a later period, around
1493. In 2001, the collection was transferred to Palazzo Vallemani
at No. 10 Via San Francesco. The Gallery preserves frescoes
recuperated from churches, confraternities and oratories:
mainly works from the Umbra School from the 13th to the 17th
Museo della Cattedrale (Cathedral Museum):
is the museum annexed to the San Rufino Cathedral. Entrance
is via the right nave of the Cathedral itself. It contains
architectonic fragments and capitals from primitive churches,
as well as paintings, frescoes, hangings, vestments and sacred
furnishings, which come from the Cathedral and other churches.
It was established in 1941.