Museo della Cattedrale
hosted in Palazzo Episcopale near to the Cathedral of S. Nicola.
It preserves a marvellous “Exultet,” a roll of
parchment dating back to the first thirty years of 1000, with
ancient prayers and miniatures in the Byzantine style; it’s
530 cm in length. The collection also includes sculptures
and paintings, as well as a rich Treasure of objects from
Neapolitan liturgics workmanship, dating back to the 17th
and 18th Centuries.
Museo Storico Civico (Historical Civic Museum):
re-opened in 2002 after almost 25 years of closure, is located
at N°13 Strada Sagges in a construction formed from a
three-floored tower of mediaeval origins. It conserves relics
and documents with particular reference to the First World
War period. The chronological documentation begins in the
period of the Garibaldina ruling until the Second World War.
Museo Archeologico Provinciale (Provincial Archaeological
is located inside the University complex. At the moment it’s
in a phase of re-arrangement. It includes the most complete
collection of archaeological material present in Puglia, with
rich collections of antique vases, bronzes, inscriptions,
jewellery and amber as well as sculpture.
Pinacoteca Provinciale (Provincial Art Gallery):
known as Corrado Giaquinto, is housed on the last floor of
the Palazzo della Provincia, and presents an ample documentation
of art from Puglia (or connected to it) from the 11th to the
19th Century. The last donation was in 1987 – a Grieco
donation – which completed the collection with paintings
from the 19th Century, in particular by the Macchiaoli artists
from Tuscany, and a variety of art from the 20th Century (Carr°,
Castrati, De Pisis, Morandi, Mafai).