RUVO DEL MONTE
On the borders with Campania, situated on a rocky spur which
consents beautiful panoramic views, is where one will find
Ruvo del Monte, an ancient centre founded
by the Sanniti.
It was founded by the Sanniti during the pre-Roman era and
known as Rufrasin in Virgil's Aeneid, , therefore Rufrum,
Rubrum and also Rubus. The name refers to the numerous landslides
and briars in its territory.
It became a stronghold under the Longobards who assigned it
to the Earldom of Conza.
During the Swabian era (XIII century), it was administered
by the Armaterra family then destroyed during the Ghibelline
rebellion of 1268.
It was reconstructed by the new nobles, the Del Balzo family,
but once again destroyed by the Caldora family during 1435.
The Gesualdo family reconstructed the Castle (XVI century)
and during subsequent centuries it saw alternating control
by the following families: Pignatelli, Caracciolo of Torella
It adhered to the Republican motions of 1799 and the Unitarian
ones during the following century.
A visit to the City
Ruvo del Monte is dominated by the Angioiniansan Tower adjacent
to where the 16th century Castle is erected.
Nearby in Piazza Margherita, one can admire the ancient Fontana
Vecchia (old fountain).
In the Cerrutolo district, one can visit the ancient Benedictine
Abbey of S. Tommaso, which was built between the XIII and
the XIV centuries.
The territory of Ruvo moreover, has brought to light finds
from the pre-Roman era and in the Sant'Antonio locality, a
Necropolis has also surfaced.
Place of interest
The remains of the Angioiniansan Castle; Fontana Vecchia;
S. Anna Church; Antiquarium; S. Tommaso Benedictine Abbey
in the Cerrutolo locality (XIII century); a Necropolis in
the Sant'Antonio locality; A visit to the Medieval centre
The Museum of Sacred Art
Fireworks for San Giuseppe on 19th March; Blessings the Palms
on Palm Sunday; Via Crucis on Good Friday; Corpus Domini Procession.