In a wooded territory, cultivated with olive groves and fruit
orchards, is where one will find Grotteria,
a Medieval centre of the Torbido valley, not too far from
the Ionian coast of Southern Calabria.
The centre came about during the Byzantine era and derives
its name from the Greek word Kripteria (hiding place), or
Akropteria (situated on higher ground).
A Pre-Hellenistic necropolis (IX-VIII century BC, S. Stefano)
has been found not too far from the centre and a Magno-Greek
building (V century BC) in Croceferrata on Mount Palazzi.
The village assumed the name of Agrettaria or Gruttaria during
the Middle Ages and reached its maximum development during
the XVI century.
Numerous seismic events and floods have damaged Grotteria
over the centuries. An earthquake almost destroyed it during
1783, but its inhabitants insisted on reconstructing in the
A visit to the City
Grotteria is dominated by the remains of its Castle of ancient
foundation (Byzantine?) from where one can enjoy a beautiful
panorama leading up to the Jonic coasts. The San Nicola of
Bari Church is positioned nearby.
The historical centre maintains its evocative Medieval aspect,
where among the alleyways (Vineje) and arches, one can admire
nobiliary portals and fountains.
The Matrix Assunta Church, of ancient foundation, was reconstructed
in 1930 after an umpteenth earthquake. The Crocifisso Church
(XVI century), with a single nave, was reconstructed after
earthquakes, as was the San Domenico Church. The Sant'Antonio
Church (1640) preserves a statue dating back to 1752 of S.
Vincenzo Ferreri (Saint Vincent Ferrer).
Place of interest
- Chiesa dell'Assunta (già esistente nel XI sec.)
- Resti del Castello medievale
- Chiesa del SS. Crocefisso (XVI sec.)
- Chiesa di San Domenico (XIV sec.)
- Chiesa di S. Antonio da Padova (1640)
- Chiesa di S. Nicola (1400)
- Cappella della Concezione
- Palazzo de Luna d'Aragona (XVI sec.)
- Portali nobiliari
- Portanova di Agropteria
- Necropoli preellenica, S. Stefano (IX-VIII sec. a.C.)
- Edifico magnogreco, Monte Palazzi (V sec. a.C.)
- Piani della Menta
- Nessun Museo segnalato
- Festa del SS. Crocifisso la 2° domenica di settembre
- Festa del SS.Crocifisso del Miracolo in novembre
- Presepe vivente