on a hill in a panoramic position near the Adriatic coast
and it's a rare case in which a city center it was born around
The history of Loreto is entirely religious
and began on December 10th 1294 when from
Gerusalemme, in obedience of Angels Comneno's will (principles
of Costantinopoli), after three years of trip arrived the
Saint House inhabited by Maria and Jesus
in Nazaret. Even if the thing seems incredible recent studies
on walls and frescoes seem to confirm the authenticity of
The House immediately became place of cult
and around to it developed the medieval Loreto: the impressive
wall projected by Antonio da Sangallo il Giovane were erected
in 1518 and reinforced with four bastions in 1600. The Basilica
was begun in 1469 in late-Gothic style on a prooject by Marino
di Marco Cedrino and was completed in 1587 with the facade
in late-Renaissance style.
Loreto in the past has been goal of pilgrimage of faithfuls,
saints and popes.
The visit of the village centers on the Basilica and offers
considerable panoramic suggestions and the possibility to
admire 8 paintings by the magnificent Venitian painter Lorenzo
Lotto, guarded in the municipal museum on the public
square of the Sanctuary.
On the same square it's possible to admir the Fontana by Carlo
Maderno (1604-1614) and the bell tower (1750-1755, Luigi Vanvitelli).