In the higher part of Val d’Agri, not too far from
Anzi, is where one will find Laurenzana,
a small and striking holiday centre dominated by the ruins
of a castle and its Chiesa Madre (Mother Church).
Laurenzana’s geographic position immediately suggests
the reasons for its birth: it was a defensive stronghold under
the Normans (XI century), who probably built the fortress
on a previous Longobard castle.
Laurenzana passed hands to the Swabians in the XIII century
and participated in the Ghibelline Revolts against the Angioiniansans
(1268), later paying the consequences.
Carlo I d’Angio gave it in fief to Annibaldo Trasmundo.
With the advent of the Aragonese to the throne of Naples (1442),
Laurenzana knew diverse feudatories among which the following
families: Orsini del Balzo, Poderico (until the XV century);
Loffredo, Filangieri; De Ruggiero; Quarto di Vaglio and Belgioioso.
Laurenzana adhered immediately to the Liberal motions of 1820
by also hosting a Rivendita Carbonara (Smaller city associations
linked to the Carbonari movement which promoted independent
ideas). It renewed its Renaissance and liberal spirit during
the 1848 motions which led to its unification into the Reign
of Italy (1861).
Later on, as with other places in Southern Italy, it experienced
depopulation and the migration phenomenon (XIX century).
During recent years, it has been appreciated as a holiday
centre, thanks also to its close proximity to the Abetina
natural reserve, allowing pleasant naturalistic excursions.
A visit to the City
Climbing towards higher ground, one will come across the
Madonna del Carmine Church (XIII century), and a monument
to those who died in the war in Piazza S. Silvestro. Crossing
the historical centre made up of stone houses, one will finally
arrive at the Chiesa Madre at the summit of the village. The
church is dedicated to S. Maria dell Assunta and was constructed
Nearby, in Belvedere, one can enjoy the panorama over the
The solitary Castle ruins lie on the cliff, splendour of an
Close to the village of Laurenzana, one can take interesting
naturalistic excursions in the Abetina Natural Reserve and
Place of interest
The S. Maria dell’Assunta Chiesa Madre(XIII century);
Madonna del Carmine Church (XIII century); Ruins of the Byzantine
Longobard Castle; Ex S. Maria ad Nives Convent (XVI century);
S. Maria Coronata or Potentissima Church; Monument to the
Fallen (Piazza S. Silvestro); Abetina Natural Reserve; Lata
State Forest; Acqua della Pietra Fountain.