Rotonda is immersed in the Pollino National
Park on top of a relief which dominates the surrounding territory
and preserves numerous architectonic works which one can visit.
Some identify the site where Rotonda is positioned with that
where ancient Nerulum was. It was a Lucani centre which was
destroyed by Consul Q. Emilio Barbula during the Second Sannitic
War (317 BC).
Invasions by the Goths during the V century AD made the population
flee here in escape from more downstream centres. It was in
this way that Rotunda Vallis Layni was founded.
It passed over to the Longobards during the VI century and
was fortified and in contestation with the Byzantines for
a long time.
It was a Norman dominium during the (XI century) and under
the Swabians (XIII century) became a Lordship of Pietro Romano
It subsequently remained outside the clash with Angioiniansan
troops during the Ghibelline revolt in 1268.
Around the 1400s, it passed hands to the powerful Sanseverino
family and subsequently to Bisignano.
In the 18th century many nobiliary buildings were constructed
with stone portals and workmanship by local artists.
During 1799 it participated in the Republican Motions and
during 1806, it was plundered by Napoleon Bonaparte’s
It adhered to both the Renaissance Motions during 1848 and
Unitarian ones of 1860, welcoming Garibaldi and his troops
during their march towards Naples.
A visit to the City
The City preserves the remains of the Feudal Castle belonging
to the Sanseverino family (XV century) and is embellished
with numerous 18th century nobiliary buildings with elegant
The Santa Maria della Consolazione Sanctuary is interesting
and preserves a statue depicting the Madonna (1512) and also
the SS Rosario and Sant’Antonio Churches.
Rotonda’s location inside the Pollino Park also allows
its visitors numerous naturalistic excursions
Place of interest
The S. Maria della Consolazione Sanctuary (XVI century);
The Mother Church (XIX century); SS Rosario Church; S. Antonio
Church (XVIII century); S. Carlo Borromeo Church; The ruins
of the Sanseverino-Bisignano Castle (XV century); Palazzo
de Rinaldis (XVII-XVIII century); Palazzo Tedeschi (XVII-XVIII
century); Palazzo di Sanso (XVI-XVIII century); Palazzo Amato
(XVIII century); Palazzo de Cataldi (XVI-XVIII century); Remains
of a furnace dedicated to brick and ciramilli (roof tile)
production in the Fratta and Fiumara localities; Filanda a
mano (Hand spinning) (1880); Water Mill in the Circoli locality;
Eremita Grotto or Brigante in the Scaldacane locality; Small
anti-brigand Fortification (1822); Excursions in the Pollino
National Park; Chiusi Woods; Fosso Paraturo; La Voragine (Abyss)
“"Pièzze 'i Trende”; Visit to Viggianello.
Pollino Naturalistic Museum
San Giuseppe Bonfire and festival of Lasagne and Chickpeas
on 19th March; Feast of the Madonna dell’Addolorata
on the last Saturday and Sunday of May; Feast of Sant’Antonio
and Fir festival on 8th & 13th June; Feast of SS Pietro
and Paolo on 28th & 29th June; Feast of the Madonna della
Consolazione on 17th & 18th August; Feast of the Madonna
del Rosario on the first Sunday in October.